SGSSS Expense and RTSG Claims
This application program is for current ESRC-funded students (SGSSS), non ESRC-funded students and University staff to claim for expenses associated with attending SGSSS events, e.g. SGSSS training events. In addition, current ESRC-funded students (SGSSS) can also apply for RTSG via this program. Please note, non ESRC-funded students are not eligible for RTSG.
SGSSS Expenses Guidance
Students from any of our 16 partner institutions, including non ESRC-funded students, can claim for certain expenses associated with attending an SGSSS event. In addition, University staff attending and/or involved in running SGSSS events can also claim for their expenses. Please see below for a summary of the details:
- Claimants can be reimbursed for their travel (lowest cost public transport available) and/or accommodation (£65 maximum claim per night).
- Childcare expenses can be claimed if attendance at an SGSSS event has resulted in additional childcare costs, i.e. additional costs directly related to participation in the event, not costs that would be incurred by the student or staff member normally.
- Student Reps may claim travel expenses where they have attended an SGSSS function in their capacity as a Student Rep.
- Students can claim up to a maximum of £2,400 for a 3-month internship arranged through SGSSS to cover all reasonable travel and accommodation costs for the period of the internship. For example, commuting or relocation costs. Travel expenses will be negotiated depending on the individual student’s needs.
- SGSSS does not expect any claims to be made for subsistence as food and drink is typically provided at SGSSS events. If breakfast is included in an accommodation rate and is within the maximum accommodation spend permitted (£65 per night), this will be covered.
- For ESRC-funded students (SGSSS) who claim for costs associated with attending SGSSS events, e.g. Advanced training or SGSSS Summer School, the claim amounts will not be deducted from their RTSG allowance.
- For SGSSS events, it is acceptable to claim after the event, however claims more than 3 months old will not be honoured.
- All expense claims are subject to our terms and conditions and must be in line with the SGSSS Expenses Policy.
All ESRC-funded students (SGSSS) are eligible for Research Training Support Grant (RTSG) funding. This funding is intended to help pay for expenses which the student, supervisor or the student's department/School deem to be in direct support of a student's PhD research. Please see below for a summary of the details:
- The notional RTSG allowance is £750 per academic year.
- RTSG claims must be submitted before a student spends the funds, e.g. if a student wishes to attend a conference which will involve travel, the student must submit a claim seeking approval prior to the event.
- Students applying for RTSG can spend more or less than £750 per academic year, so long as the overall spend does not exceed the notional RTSG allowance of £2,250 over a 3 year studentship award (£3,000 for a 1+3 studentship).
- The HEI Admin Lead within a student’s intuition will approve or reject RTSG claims, seeking SGSSS approval if the claim(s) exceed the notional amounts detailed above.
- If the total amount of a single claim exceeds £200, students must submit a Supervisor Statement of Support, written by their supervisor.
- Although HEI Admin Leads will record the amount of RTSG funding each student has been awarded, students are also advised to record this.
- Students can submit multiple RTSG claims per academic year, in line with the notional amounts detailed above.
- Full guidance on all available ESRC training funds, including RTSG, can be found in the SGSSS Student Handbook.